Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Laundry

Ok, I have spent most of my day doing laundry. I wonder how may other Stay-as-home-moms spend most of their day doing laundry? I know that on average most families do at least 1 load a day. I know that I average that and we have 6 people in this house. I wonder just how much money we spend on laundry detergent? I am not talking about fabric softener, water, or electricity. Just the washing powders!?!?!? Do you know? I had no clue, but I can honestly say I now I do. I make my own. I average about $0.39 a load, JUST IN WASHING POWDERS. Can you imagine? I have been making mine for a little over a year, and I cant even figure up all the money I have saved! So lets see if we can figure it up: a big box of detergent is what $10.50? The stuff I use is Borax which is about $6.00 a box (depending on where you buy) Washing Soda which is about $5.00 a box (depending on where you buy) and Ivory soap which is about $3.99 for 8 bars (I think) So lets see here, we are up to about $14.99 and with that I can make enough to last me about 9 months!!! Yes that's right, I said 9 MONTHS!!!  Now I know what you are thinking, there is no way. AH but there is. I only use 1 tablespoon per load, or 2 if the laundry is REALLY dirty. I always make enough to fill up a container that holds a 5 pound bag of sugar or what not, and that last me 6 months. AGAIN I have 6 people in my house. I want to add here that I own a front loading high efficiency washer to. I also live in the country and have a septic tank. So if I can try to save that much money a day/week/month/year, why not? My husband found me the recipe. It is so simple.
We also found a recipe to make our own automatic dishwasher powders too. However we no longer use them. It leaves a powdery film on my dishes and some even come out still dirty. Even though I have a BRAND NEW dishwasher! So we started using the store bought stuff again! But I do not use the store bought rinsing agent. I use white vineger. No my dishes do not come out smelling or tasting like vineger.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, got your link from Crystal. I've seen and read about people doing this for years now and you would think as much as I like to save money I would do this, but I don't. Why? Lazy? Maybe, but I think in my mind I worry about the smell. I LOVE my clothes to smell good and I worry that if I make my own it won't smell good. I got the New Purex crystals in the mail last week, and my family Loves it! "I have to get my review written still." Anyway I LOVE them and the smell is awesome, so I am thinking maybe I'll try making my own soap and use the crystals with it. Since I use coupons for everything I don't spend that much or at least as much as the average mom.
    So, I am happy you are saving and making your own detergent and just maybe you have convinced me finally to try it. If I do I'll come back and let you know about it. :)
    Come by and visit me on my blog please. I have a FREE $10 up today.
    I'll be back anyway I love to read other peoples rants and raves, at least it lets me know I am not the only one who gets pissed when people don't put the cart back. Only time I give an excuse to myself is if it's pouring and then I still feel guilty, so it really has to be storming.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, Thanks for reading. From everythin I have read about making my own laundry stuff, you can use a different kind of soap. There are many recipes out there. Try it. Thats all you can do. I have a friend that actually tried a batch and used Irish Spring. It smelled good.

    ReplyDelete